Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Messy Mangos

I don't like my hands getting sticky or dirty. It's a silly thing, but it's true. Unfortunately this means there are a lot of pleasurable things in life I avoid. Like gardening, for instance. Or eating sticky fruit.

I eat dry fruit like apples and bananas, but I usually avoid sticky fruit like oranges. Figs I do like, and can tolerate them because even though they lean towards stickiness, they're small enough to consume without getting messy.

But the mangos in Mexico this season are so juicy and yummy that I have escaped my phobia and allowed myself to get sticky and dirty.

I peel the mango and dig into it over the kitchen sink. I don't usually approve of eating over the kitchen sink--it's kind of gross (like eating in the bathroom, another rule I have, which I have been known to break), but eating over the sink allows me to be messy and spill freely, without fear of repercussions. See, spilling is another of my phobias. I hate spilling on clothes, rugs, fabrics. (And wouldn't you know it, I married someone who seems to have a special tendency to spill. Go figure).

I'm eating a mango everyday, getting my fingers sticky, making a mess and loving it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home