Another Cultural Assumption
We have a huge window in one of our rooms that is completely exposed to the outside--no glass, frame, nada--so we asked Fabian to order acrylic to use as a temporary cover. Later, when we have permits, we can get a window frame built and glass it in.
I was so excited to start protecting this room. But my heart fell when I saw the acrylic Fabian had ordered. It was opaque. I had no idea opaque acrylic even existed; I have only seen transparent.
But it's such an obvious misunderstanding. Mexicans have an aversion to clear glass. Their homes are inward-oriented, with the goal of privacy; they have little interest in looking outside, much less allowing passers-by to look inside. Of course Fabian assumed I meant opaque acrylic.
Meanwhile I'm the opposite extreme. Half the time I don't bother with curtains. And opaque windows in bathrooms? Don't get me started. They seem prudishly Victorian to me. Where are all the people standing outside a bathroom trying to peer in, anyway?
I have not looked at houses enough in other Latin countries to know if this orientation towards privacy is common throughout the Latin world, or only Mexico. Now I'm curious. I sense it is a legacy from the Arabs.
I considered replacing the opaque with transparent acrylic, but since the acrylic costs $80, and is temporary anyway, my economic conservatism won out.
I was so excited to start protecting this room. But my heart fell when I saw the acrylic Fabian had ordered. It was opaque. I had no idea opaque acrylic even existed; I have only seen transparent.
But it's such an obvious misunderstanding. Mexicans have an aversion to clear glass. Their homes are inward-oriented, with the goal of privacy; they have little interest in looking outside, much less allowing passers-by to look inside. Of course Fabian assumed I meant opaque acrylic.
Meanwhile I'm the opposite extreme. Half the time I don't bother with curtains. And opaque windows in bathrooms? Don't get me started. They seem prudishly Victorian to me. Where are all the people standing outside a bathroom trying to peer in, anyway?
I have not looked at houses enough in other Latin countries to know if this orientation towards privacy is common throughout the Latin world, or only Mexico. Now I'm curious. I sense it is a legacy from the Arabs.
I considered replacing the opaque with transparent acrylic, but since the acrylic costs $80, and is temporary anyway, my economic conservatism won out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home