Friday, February 23, 2007

Exercise in Mexico

I'm a compulsive record-keeper, and one of my favorite areas to record, wherever I am, is my fitness activity, which I track daily in the back of my journal. A unique aspect about life in Guanajuato is that most people stay in pretty good shape, by default, just because you end up walking everywhere.

So here is my record of the last week's exercise:

Fri Feb 16-- "intentional walk to Cerro de Gallos" (intentional meaning not just getting around, but a purposeful walk for its own sake, in this case, to the Hill of Chickens) -- 60 mins.

Sat Feb 17-- Pilates (I brought my own fitness ball down here and do Pilates at home) -- 20 mins.
Walk in country from the Amigos party outside Marfil (a suburb) to Marfil center -- 60 mins.

Sun Feb 18-- Hike to Mellado (a mining village in the hills above Guanajuato): hike portion (meaning on trails) -- 135 minutes; walk portion (on pavement through town to reach trails) -- 70 minutes

Mon Feb 19-- intentional walk to Pastita -- 50 mins.
Pilates 15 mins.

Wed Feb 21-- early morning pre-light intentional walk with Barry -- 60 mins.
Weight-lifting (I joined a gym) -- 30 mins

Thurs Feb 22-- swim -- 45 mins (I registered to swim at the local high school; another story)
walk to and from movie in evening -- 60 mins

For a grand total of 540 minutes cardio and 65 minutes other (meaning strength, flexibility, etc.).

How is my exercise different in Mexico than in California? I ride my bike in Eureka, whereas I hope to here but haven't brought my bike down yet. I walk in Eureka, too, but nowhere near as much as here. In Eureka I roller-blade, though not as often as I used to and would like to, because the street surfaces are rougher than I'm comfortable with (I'd never roller-blade here!) In season, I back-pack in California, which I have yet to do here. And I do yoga in California, which I don't here, though it is available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home