Goal-setting in Mexico
I went to see L a couple of days ago. She is the manager of Casa Constancia, a pension where Barry and I have stayed several times. We sat in her kitchen drinking camomile tea, and I asked her if Mexicans made New Year's Resolutions. "Oh, yes," she said. "'Propositos.' Some make them, but don't keep them, others make them and do." She also explained that Lent ("Cuaresma") was a time, like for some in the USA, where people give up something.
Did she have a New Year's Resolution? I asked. Yes, hers was to take over the running of the pension by herself. Her ex-partner and now housemate, J, is affable enough, but leaves the bulk of the work managing the pension to her. L, like most Mexican women I've met, has rather minimal standards when it comes to men. If the guy works, doesn't drink too much, doesn't screw around, and doesn't beat her up, he's considered pretty good material. In J's case, however, though he's nice enough, is rarely employed. L, meanwhile, has a fulltime job working as a secretary for the Public Works Department of the state, on top of which she has the pension that she manages. She gets home from her job and cleans. And cleans. She has hired her sister to help clean too, though J complains about that.
One weekend when we were staying there, J took off on a two-day pilgrimage. "It's good for reflection," he said. "What about L?" I asked pointedly, since she wasn't going; she would stay back at the pension, cleaning."Doesn't she like reflection too?" He laughed sheepishly.
Now, I asked L, "How are you going to take over the pension?" I didn't see why J would be motivated to leave; he has all the basics covered. "I'm going to talk to him, and to the owner," she said. She also planned to upgrade two of the rooms--get rid of the moldy rugs, and spiff up the place. I encouraged her. Casa Constancia could be full every night. It has what has to be the best view in all of Guanajuato, but the quality would not meet the expectations of many tourists.
A couple of days letter, my teacher E and I discussed our respective resolutions: hers were to give up drinking Coke, meditate more consistently, introduce more variety when she teaches yoga, learn English, and learn to swim. Since she's moving to Mexico City to begin a two year masters' degree program, I wondered if learning English and swimming was a lot to ask.
My goals were at the seedling stage--not refined yet. But the areas, I told her, were to focus more on writing and publishing, continue my eternal pursuit of mastery in Spanish, build more variety into my exercise and movement, nurture friendships with Mexicans, and keep putting my skills to use in business and training in Mexico.
I love sharing about goals. I will be checking in on L and E and offering my support.
Did she have a New Year's Resolution? I asked. Yes, hers was to take over the running of the pension by herself. Her ex-partner and now housemate, J, is affable enough, but leaves the bulk of the work managing the pension to her. L, like most Mexican women I've met, has rather minimal standards when it comes to men. If the guy works, doesn't drink too much, doesn't screw around, and doesn't beat her up, he's considered pretty good material. In J's case, however, though he's nice enough, is rarely employed. L, meanwhile, has a fulltime job working as a secretary for the Public Works Department of the state, on top of which she has the pension that she manages. She gets home from her job and cleans. And cleans. She has hired her sister to help clean too, though J complains about that.
One weekend when we were staying there, J took off on a two-day pilgrimage. "It's good for reflection," he said. "What about L?" I asked pointedly, since she wasn't going; she would stay back at the pension, cleaning."Doesn't she like reflection too?" He laughed sheepishly.
Now, I asked L, "How are you going to take over the pension?" I didn't see why J would be motivated to leave; he has all the basics covered. "I'm going to talk to him, and to the owner," she said. She also planned to upgrade two of the rooms--get rid of the moldy rugs, and spiff up the place. I encouraged her. Casa Constancia could be full every night. It has what has to be the best view in all of Guanajuato, but the quality would not meet the expectations of many tourists.
A couple of days letter, my teacher E and I discussed our respective resolutions: hers were to give up drinking Coke, meditate more consistently, introduce more variety when she teaches yoga, learn English, and learn to swim. Since she's moving to Mexico City to begin a two year masters' degree program, I wondered if learning English and swimming was a lot to ask.
My goals were at the seedling stage--not refined yet. But the areas, I told her, were to focus more on writing and publishing, continue my eternal pursuit of mastery in Spanish, build more variety into my exercise and movement, nurture friendships with Mexicans, and keep putting my skills to use in business and training in Mexico.
I love sharing about goals. I will be checking in on L and E and offering my support.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home