Neighbor Courtesy
I finally ran into D on the street. She said she'd like to drive to San Miguel, she has her own reasons for wanting to go. And yes, she does have a cellphone, but doesn't use it, so there is no way to reach her except through R, unless I wave at her while she walks on her terrace. D exercises by walking back and forth on R's upper-story balcony, listening to music.
De agrees with me: she learned from her Spanish teacher that it would be rude to drop in on R and ask for D without visiting with R first.
I asked my Spanish teacher if I had to visit with R when who I really wanted to see was D. She frowned. "Mexicans are very passionate and emotional and jealous," she said.
"Men and women both?"
"Women more. I have two aunts. If I call one, then I have to be sure to call the other, because the first one will tell the other I called, and the other will be offended."
Barry and I discussed R's request for the albaniles. "I watch them during their lunch break, and they're really resting. They need the time off," he said. "If she uses them, it will end up costing us." We agreed that I will call David, our architect/contractor, and tell him that we are going to tell R, if she asks again, that David has said he wants the albaniles to focus just on the house, it's such a big project.
Normally at home I would resist relying on a third party to assume responsibility, but I think here it would be better for R and me, and more credible if it comes from David.
Meanwhile, Barry and I invited R and her son over for drinks on Saturday to see the progress on our house. Hopefully, that will smooth things over, if they need to be smoothed. I hope any minor cultural infractions I make will be forgiven. But for one who who can fuss endlessly over possible mutations in relationships, and stay awake at night interpreting the subtlest of signals, Mexico is a wild card!
De agrees with me: she learned from her Spanish teacher that it would be rude to drop in on R and ask for D without visiting with R first.
I asked my Spanish teacher if I had to visit with R when who I really wanted to see was D. She frowned. "Mexicans are very passionate and emotional and jealous," she said.
"Men and women both?"
"Women more. I have two aunts. If I call one, then I have to be sure to call the other, because the first one will tell the other I called, and the other will be offended."
Barry and I discussed R's request for the albaniles. "I watch them during their lunch break, and they're really resting. They need the time off," he said. "If she uses them, it will end up costing us." We agreed that I will call David, our architect/contractor, and tell him that we are going to tell R, if she asks again, that David has said he wants the albaniles to focus just on the house, it's such a big project.
Normally at home I would resist relying on a third party to assume responsibility, but I think here it would be better for R and me, and more credible if it comes from David.
Meanwhile, Barry and I invited R and her son over for drinks on Saturday to see the progress on our house. Hopefully, that will smooth things over, if they need to be smoothed. I hope any minor cultural infractions I make will be forgiven. But for one who who can fuss endlessly over possible mutations in relationships, and stay awake at night interpreting the subtlest of signals, Mexico is a wild card!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home